Cisco Catalyst Switches Review

Has become easier for us to troubleshoot but the newer models aren't so stable

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for routing, switching, and for interconnecting sites.

How has it helped my organization?

It has become easier for us to troubleshoot and find issues faster in the management software for the switches. It saves us troubleshooting time because if the network is down it has a big impact on production.

What is most valuable?

The stability is the most valuable feature. We have some outages but it's 95% stable.

What needs improvement?

The newer models are not so stable. Other products like 6800, 3750, were stable but starting from 3850 it got worse. We have a lot of issues and a lot of bugs. It's a new product so it's understandable but it should be improved.

Scalability is easy. It's easy to increase the size of our network, we use templates.

We haven't had to use their technical support.

We wanted a reliable solution so we chose Cisco. We began working with them ten years ago. We have everything on Cisco and it's not worth it to switch everything to another brand.

The initial setup is a bit complex but we have templates so we just have to deploy our template configuration. The VLAN configuration was complex. We have STP and different protocols which are not on the V-port so we had to enable it.

We implemented it ourselves.

Ten years ago we used Avaya and HPE.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten. Not a ten because we are highly satisfied with all of their products but with the newer products, some parts have problems that take a while to fix.

I would say to go for Cisco. It is a stable and quality solution.