Cisco Cloud Services Router Review

Effectively interfaces our public and private networks, but our version does not support the LISP protocol

What is our primary use case?

We have a public and a private network, and we use the Cisco CSR to route traffic between them. In our private network, we have a Cisco Nexus 1000V virtualization switch that works with VMware. Our goal was to have our two LANs work together as a layer two network, and this solution forms the gateway between them.

Our CSR is set up such that one end is connected to the internet, whereas the other end connects to our public network. We have a route between the CSR and our Nexus 1000V, which is directly connected to the other switch that is included with VMware.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the SNMP traps that I use to monitor the router and the availability of the network.

What needs improvement?

The version of this solution that we are using does not support the LISP protocol. The new versions support LISP, which helps with the aggregation of routing across the landings.

I have been working with this solution for almost four years and I have about fifteen years of experience in total with Cisco products.

Bugs are common in this solution and we run into various routing issues when it comes to learning routes or using the static cloud. However, most of these issues are easily solvable.

This solution is more on the virtual side and you can handle a lot of virtual networks. At the same time, it does have some limitations on how much you can scale.

We have approximately 200 people who use this solution in our company.

I have been in contact with technical support on many occasions and they are always good. The response time depends on how the issue is rated in terms of priority, and how critical your network is.

I have not used a similar solution from another vendor.

Most of our data centers use Cisco solutions, although some of the partner sites use other products.

The initial setup was more straightforward than complex.

It took about a day to deploy. After bringing up the topology, we had to coordinate with the other teams in terms of bringing up the LAN link. We had to bring everything up to date.

I did most of the CSR deployment by myself, although when it comes to the LAN-related work, I had assistance from the LAN team.

One to two people are suitable for handling the maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I surely recommend.

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to consider scale. You can use this router in a scalable solution but it has its limitations. Overall, it works really well and does not have any large bugs or issues with it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Cisco Cloud Services Router reviews from users
...who compared it with Juniper Enterprise Routers
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, MikroTik and others in Routers. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.