Cisco CloudCenter Review

Great stability but coming up on end of life and difficult to upgrade

What is our primary use case?

We're only using it because we create tenants and each OU inside of our company is with our DevOps. With CloudCenter, you are able to use their own VMs and manage their own workload.

What is most valuable?

The stability of the solution is quite good.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward if you have a basic setup.

What needs improvement?

I'm looking for another product that's going to be quite simple and that's going to be more aligned with DevOps orientation so that they can do scripting, etc. I know that you can do it with CloudCenter, with the API, however, it's not perfect yet.

I'm not a big fan of CloudCenter. I don't have anything against it, however, the on-premise version has been so hard to upgrade and maintain.

We need too many machines just to have a cloud portal. That is very hard to manage and sustain with the versions. Every time that we have upgraded this product to go from version 4.0 something to the latest version under 4.0, we have to spend days and days with Cisco due to all the bugs. Our setup is straightforward. It's not because we did the setup too much complex. We have the base setup and every time that we're creating it, it's pain.

The upgrade is always failing. They need to get way better at upgrading the solution.

We're the company that uses this solution the most in the entire world, and we've really been pushing for Cisco to make improvements, however, now it's coming to end of life, so they aren't going to happen.

We've been using the solution for three years.

The stability of the product is quite nice. We have had only one or two issues in three years with it in which the system actually crashed. However, for the rest of that time, stability has been great. We didn't have any problems.

There have been no limits as to what I know and what we have reached, as of today. I haven't seen a ceiling on its ability to expand. The scalability is nice.

All the users on our end are DevOps and we are the admins of the VMware identity infrastructure. We have roughly 50 to 60 users actively using it at any given time.

Cisco's technical support is not ideal, and we've dealt with them a lot as we've had a lot of issues with bugs after updates. I would rate them three out of five.

For us, we did a basic setup and the initial setup was straightforward. It depends on the company, however. It can get complex depending on the requirements.

We have a team of five people that handle maintenance on the solution.

The licensing, as I understand it, isn't too much, as we're working end to end with Cisco. We have an SLA in place that provides us good pricing and they want us to keep our contracts with them.

That said, I don't know the exact cost structure of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner and part of the board with Cisco CloudCenter and Cisco ACI, etc.

We are using CloudCenter now, and we know that CloudCenter is going to be on its end of life by 2024. We're in process of looking for a new replacement.

We're using the latest version, which is something like version 4. Version 5 is on the on-premise cloud-only, and we are not using this. We were planning to migrate to the cloud version, the faster version of Cisco CloudCenter, however, we just learned last week that the end of life was 2024, and so we've decided to not move forward in that direction.

It's a good product. It's working. The only thing that I don't like is the upgrade process. However, for the rest of the solution, the product is doing a great job for what we require.

I'd rate the solution a six out of ten. The upgrades are difficult and I would note that it is coming up to its end of life, so no more upgrades are really going to happen.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Turbonomic, DXC Technology and others in Cloud Migration. Updated: December 2020.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.