Cisco Defense Orchestrator Review

Restore history automatically prevents system crashes, but reporting and monitoring need work

What is our primary use case?

We manage all ASA devices, from versions 5506 to 5516, through CDO.

How has it helped my organization?

When we are doing updates for security reasons, every six months we review certain companies. Before CDO, we had to spend hours and hours to update ten devices. Now, with one simple click, we select the devices and set it to update on a given day, and save different the configurations. It's pretty simple and a great feature for us. Whenever we have found any problems in the devices and we want to create a new policy that applies to ten or 20 companies, we select the devices and we send the same commands to all those devices at once.

In terms of auditing, CDO has the option to review all the logs and if something is modified we have control of that. We know what time it was modified. There is a history on it so we can go and check that. As for visibility, with CDO we can see any changes that were made. If there is a vulnerability from one device, we can go and fix it in different devices at once. It's not just one device. We can work and try to prevent that specific problem from hampering the rest of the devices.

The solution's support for ASA, FTD, and Meraki MX devices helps free up staff time for other work.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the restore history. For any changes that you have backed up, if something goes wrong, then the system will automatically prevent the system from crashing or from loss of the client's connection. When you start programming any ASA or device connected to CDO, if you make a mistake, you have the option to restore the previous configuration. You will not lose connection with the device and the client will continue working without problems.

We use a lot of image upgrades. We take some 20 devices and then we update everything at once, including the policies. We apply policies for groups. For certain groups, like anti-viruses, we send out policies and apply them to every single device. It's really easy and simple.

The solution’s security features for storing firewall configurations in the cloud are pretty secure. I don't see any problems with it. They have two-factor authentication. From what I see, it's working properly. I don't feel there is any gap there.

What needs improvement?

CDO doesn't have a report, an official report that I can check daily. It has another module called FTD, but it doesn't have that specifically for ASA. In the reporting, there are a lot of things that aren't there. There is also room for improvement in the daily monitoring.

I have been using it for two to three years.

It's really stable, I don't see any glitches at this point. Once one is connected, it's just a matter of doing maintenance.

If a person has knowledge of how switches and routers work, and that could be a Cisco technician, that would be enough to for scalability using this platform.

I don't see any limitations on the number of firewalls it can handle. We have, on average, about 100 running on it. We have five users.

In terms of features, we're not using the VPN section or the templates so there's room to grow and keep learning the platform.

On a scale of one to ten, tech support would be about a seven.

We definitely have to escalate the issues. The first tier is always complicated. We, ourselves, are basically second-tier here, so the guys don't often call support. We try to resolve problems here. I do recall that about eight months that ago we had a situation, a specific problem, but it was something out scope so the system was not supporting those devices. It took about a week to resolve it because we could never get the right person. We tried to explain what's going on and it was a little confusing. It had to do with CDO but not everybody at Cisco has knowledge of CDO.

We have something different, but at this point we are mostly using CDO. We use Cyberhub only to monitor vulnerabilities. That's all it does. With CDO we try to do SSH and all the language. But CDO doesn't have vulnerability monitors. That is something that they definitely need to improve on.

The initial setup was really straightforward. If the person setting this up has knowledge of firewalls and switches, it's pretty simple. It took about two hours for us to deploy. It depends on the company. It could be a company has only five ASAs, and that could take 20 minutes to one hour. All companies are different, so it depends on how many ASAs they have.

In terms of an implementation strategy, we used SSH first and then did the connections.

Deployment of the whole system can be done by one person. And similarly, it takes one person to maintain it.

Once we had CDO up and running, after first implementing it, it took about six months to see value from the solution.

The ROI comes from the fact that, before CDO we had different teams in charge of different companies. They were responsible for updates, checking for vulnerabilities, making sure the devices follow protocols and have all the policies necessary in those companies. For the most part, the companies share the same policies. We try to leave everything standard. We had teams in charge of that, but now we have one person who is in charge of it. That is saving a lot of money for our company and time for the clients. CDO has made our security team more productive. We're saving all that time. Again, it's just one person who can now take care of that.

We did a few tests but I don't remember the names of the other products. What made CDO stand out is that you can do different devices at once. The other companies offered only one system. There was no way we could do updates on all the devices. That's really the strong point of CDO.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to try to gain more knowledge of SSH. CDO needs to improve monitoring and reporting.

Every six months, we go in deep. We check the devices to make sure everything is working correctly. We have another system, not related to CDO, which is alerting us if something is not working correctly. It runs daily. For example, if we find any ASAs with vulnerabilities, we take the information from that third-party software and go to CDO and again do the update for all the devices that are affected.

We're not using CDO for firewall builds or daily management of existing files. It is not as strong in that.

Overall, I would rate the solution at seven out of ten.