Cisco Email Security Review

Multiple content filters, such as DKIM, are among the key aspects of our email security

What is our primary use case?

We have around 500 to 600 users and we use it for services like Anti-Spam, Advanced Malware Protection (AMP), and scanning. We are also using also multiple content filters, and it's working pretty well for us. In combination with ESA, we are using Trend Micro.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we had ESA, so we had more spam emails. In fact, we had some other solutions in place, but there was more spam going to the Exchange Server when we compare between we didn't have ESA deployed and when we deployed it. We cannot say it's 100 percent, but we're covered for 90 to 95 percent of spam. No spam is going to the user right now.

What is most valuable?

We are using almost all the features because they are necessary to protect emails. The most valuable feature is the different content filters we are using, such as DKIM.

The Anti-Spam feature is also valuable for us because, most of the time, we notice that what is coming in is spam, and the Anti-Spam filter works very well. That's one of the features we like most.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more options for the customization of content filters.

Three to five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. They always come out with very stable versions of firmware and it has never caused any issues.

Cisco Email Security is working well for us, but we currently have no plans to increase usage.

Technical support is very fast to respond. They are well-trained and experienced.

We were using Trend Micro and we are still using it now that we have Cisco ESA. Cisco's solution is more efficient and provides more options. For us, it also creates one more layer of security.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. The basic mail policies were very easy to set up, but tuning the email flow and blocking certain things according to particular requirements takes time.

The initial deployment took about a week. Our implementation strategy was not to stop the mail flow while implementing adequate security features, including Anti-Spam, AMP, and AV.

Deployment and maintenance requires one engineer, maximum.

We used an integrator. I was not involved directly.

Licensing is done yearly, but I am not involved with purchasing side of things.

Cisco ESA was our first choice.

What other advice do I have?

This is a great product with wonderful support. You won't have any issues.