Cisco Enterprise Routers Review

Easy to set up, reliable, and has pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the router. It could be H branches router, the MPLS router. or the border gateways router.

How has it helped my organization?

The routing aspect itself has improved the way our client's organizations are run.

What is most valuable?

We don't necessarily give a lot of interest to the various aspects of the solution as Cisco has dedicated devices for a bunch of features. That said, routing is in the running.

They are the best in failover switches. Their product line is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We don't really see any places where Cisco is lacking. They are quite reliable.

A specific client may have specific needs. There may be features they need that Cisco may not have. Each organization is unique in that sense.

It would be nice if Cisco had the capability for packet capture.

Depending on the customer, the initial setup could be complex.

Technical support could be slightly more responsive.

We've used the solution for more than five years at this point. It's been a while.

We've used other technologies that have given us issues, however, we've had very few problems with Cisco. It's quite a reliable product.

Whether the solution scales well depends on the client and the model they've chosen to work with. Some customers have certain requirements and will need to work with certain models in order to get the scalability they desire.

We usually do some analysis and we only provide recommendations based on future goals or future requirements, instead of anything else. That way, we're prepared for an expansion.

We typically support small or medium companies. We don't typically deal with enterprise-level organizations. If we do deal with enterprises, it is only for support and not for implementation.

I'm an engineer. I do my best not to call support. My job is to resolve issues to whatever I can do. I don't like relying on customer support, or support from the vendor. That's not appreciated from the customer side. What's the point of hiring an engineer, otherwise? That said, in the rare instances I do, they have always been very helpful. They are responsive and knowledgeable. I'm very satisfied with them so far. Overall, I would rate them at an eight out of ten.

They could slightly improve on their response time. However, sometimes the issue is that it is difficult to explain. I'm an engineer and I'm on the field, deploying and configuring. Tech support it's only resolving cases based on the database. They start looking for that in the database. Often, whatever recommendation they do, it's not that big of a fix as they just "find" the problem and I resolve it.

While we tend to always recommend Cisco, if a client doesn't have the budget for the solution, they may choose something else.

Our customers are mostly based in the UK. They are not that big. They're rather small companies. They don't require a complex deployment. Therefore, we didn't find the initial setup complex. For us, it was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner.

We use the service cloud routers as well.

In terms of versions, the company has recently changed from IOS to XE. We're using the latest version of the solution.

We're deployed both on-premises and on private clouds. We deploy this for our clients, and therefore the deployment model depends on their requirements.

I'd recommend the solution. If a company decides to go with a Cisco router, they are making a wise decision.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

More Cisco Enterprise Routers reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Juniper Enterprise Routers
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.