Cisco Enterprise Routers Review

A stable solution with good technical support for interconnecting our branch offices

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for interconnecting our branch offices. We have six branches in addition to our head office.

All of our routers are on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

The Cisco routers are very stable.

We can use these routers for multiple links, so in terms of scalability, it's a plus for us.

Cisco has one of the best products in terms of routing because of the protocols in which they provide.

What needs improvement?

In terms of room for improvement, I think that there is a need for additional administration. We have seen other products, such as the Cisco Email Security Appliance and the Cisco Web Security Appliance, now have a web-based interface. We would like to see this in the routers, as well. It would make our administration easier.

Considering the increase in data that is being processed across networks, I think that increasing the CPU size to boost processing power would be wise. People are now trying to do more analytics, so this would be helpful.

I think that it would be better for analytics if the local storage, on the router itself, were increased. This would allow us to store more data for analysis as we are trying to secure our network.

We have been using this solution for about six years.

This is a very stable solution.

The scalability of this solution is good.

These routers support a user base of about seven hundred and fifty people. We do not immediately plan on increasing our usage, although as the economy grows, we can see increasing our user base to perhaps one thousand users in two years. It will increase as we open more branch offices.

We have reached out to Cisco's technical support, and in the past six years, the service and support have been excellent. We are happy with the turnaround times.

Cisco is very a popular vendor in this country, so I have been using Cisco products all along, in terms of routing. I have not been exposed to other technologies.

The basic setup is pretty straightforward, although we have reached out to Cisco for help when we needed to implement tight security and integration with other Cisco products.

We have a technical team of about ten people who manage these routers. There are six system administrations and three people in the head office.

We used our Cisco Premier Partner, who are local, to assists us with these solutions.

Cisco is mid-tier in terms of pricing and quite affordable by most enterprises.

There are some people trying to introduce other technology such as Check Point and Juniper, but our Enterprise customers rely on Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Mostly, this is a very good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.