Cisco Enterprise Routers Review

Stable, good documentation, good technical support, and the CLI is good

What is our primary use case?

This is a solution that I integrate for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Most of the hardware is very stable.

In the 3750 model, the best feature is the stacking. My customer needed that because they wanted high-availability between the firewall and the end-users.

What needs improvement?

High-availability management needs to be improved. When one switch fails, it will ask you to come back and use a different one.

If they can negate or reduce the modem delay, that would be great.

When we are performing maintenance, it takes too long to reboot the device.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The scalability is very good. I have not had any issues with it.

I rarely contact technical support. I am a technical person and do it myself because I am the first level of support for my customers. Everything is easy to do. What I like about Cisco devices is that they have documentation. Whenever you have an issue you will go online to find it first. Normally, there are examples of it.

The last time I contacted Cisco was for somebody who wanted to change their license for a wireless email security appliance. Support was able to help me, and the issue was solved. If I cannot handle the issue then I contact Cisco tech and they will solve it. They are great and have helped me to satisfy my customers.

Previously we were using another solution, but we change to Cisco Enterprise Routers because where I work, most people want to have full control of their devices.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the time, I use the command-line interface.

The downtime for a switch automatically taking over for another one has been reduced. It used to take five or six minutes for the jobs on the other resource tree, but it is faster now.

My advice for people implementing this solution is to test it. Try new things that you have never tried. Cisco has support, which is the most important thing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.