Cisco Enterprise Routers Review

Good routing, flexible configuration and an easy deployment process

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the routers for internet and wire connection.

What is most valuable?

The routing feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The solution is more flexible in configuration and in deployment. The deployment is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we use the 4000 series of the solution, however, there were issues with the 1900 series.

The solution needs to offer some security features in a future release.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. In our company, we have about 10,000 users. We don't plan to increase usage right now.

Technical support is excellent. I'd rate them ten out of ten.

We previously used, and still use Juniper. We use both Juniper and Cisco within our organization; we haven't replaced one with the other.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes about two hours.

Our strategy was to have both high and low-level information in regard to the configuration. We usually have it in our script and we can use this information to assist us with deployment.

You require about two people for deployment and maintenance of the solution.

In most cases, I handle the implementation myself. However, in some cases, we used system integrators due to the nature of the contract involved.

There's a yearly licensing agreement. You can add more features at an additional cost if you need to.

What other advice do I have?

We're mostly using the 4000 series of the solution.

In terms of advice, I'd say users need to be clear about customer requirements to avoid overpaying for features they don't need. They should take care to select the proper router type and use the proper license. For deployment, they need a high level of understanding, for the implementation and configuration. They need to be prepared for all scenarios to be network ready. Something might turn off, for example, so they need to be prepared for those instances in order to properly handle them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.