Cisco Enterprise Routers Review

An extremely stable and reliable device that performs well

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. I have not seen any downtime due to the product freezing or anything like that. It performs well and hasn't required reboots unless it's to troubleshoot with a support service provider needing configuration. It doesn't overheat and it's on 24/7.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if there was a graphical user interface or something to interface with the router.

If I only have one LAN port in which I want to connect more than one device, I have to buy an add-on card so that I can have two LAN ports. The smaller devices and low-end routers have about four LAN ports. This solution is a high-end device but has only one. It would be preferable if they offered more LAN ports.

I don't know whether the solution can be cloud-managed. When I am away from work, it would be great if I could still have access and manage things, check the configuration, etc. Right now, I don't have a way of monitoring things if I am not at my desk.

I need a feature introduced where I can be able to tell if my provider is giving me constant capacity. The solution should be able to alert me to when the capacity fluctuates so I can go back to my provider and tell ask them why they are giving me less capacity than I am paying for.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the solution is very, very good.

There was a time I was experiencing some issues with the low-end Cisco router, the 800 series, but I upgraded to the enterprise option and its performance has been remarkable, I have no complaints whatsoever.

We haven't attempted to scale the solution, so I can't really speak to if it's easy or difficult.

I've not engaged with Cisco technical support directly, but the resellers supporting us have been excellent. I prefer to work with the internet service providers because they are the ones who sold the Cisco router to me and they've been supporting me very well and I am happy with their assistance.

We didn't really use another solution, at least not on a large scale. We did use some small routers like Linksys for a handful of people. For the purpose of our internet connectivity from the service provider to my company, I wanted to use Cisco.

Deployment took some time. One person came in to terminate cable. Then, the next day, they sent someone to configure the router which took three hours. Some of the settings weren't quite working right, which is why it took that long.

The initial setup was done by my internet service provider because they did not want anyone to tamper with their configuration.

What other advice do I have?

We operate a hotel and we have clients who are logging into the WiFi all the time. We need to give them good connectivity. Sometimes we get as many as 500 connections and we know that with Cisco unless the service provider lets us down, the device won't fail. It's a very good product.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten.