Cisco Ethernet Switches Review
Pro's and Con's - Cisco vs. Juniper

Competitive strength – Cisco and Juniper are a good fit in any data centre.

Competitive weaknesses –

1. Cisco takes a proprietary spin on standards, increasing fear of vendor lock-in and cost to replace. Juniper has to spend time explaining the technology.
  2. Cisco’s Nexus portfolio is broad and complex, requiring advanced skills to design, deploy and manage which increases costs. Juniper’s market share remains small compared to equally well-known competitors and calls into question the company’s ability to execute and attract channel and other partners.

Current Perspective –

1. Cisco switches remains a leader in the data centre due to both market presence and portfolio breadth.
  2. Cisco switches continues to win new customers based on both its portfolio and its technology partner network

Strength and weaknesses

1. Cisco’s portfolio of switches, servers, software and services makes it one of the preeminent data centre technology partners for enterprises today.
  2. Cisco constantly strives to develop and deliver cutting edge solutions through innovations that meet the needs customers face today.
  3. By simplifying operations, Juniper’s networks increase business agility and at the same reduce operating expenses
  4. Cisco is a company driven by the market and by customers, and the resulting solutions produced and offered are a direct result of that demand
  5. Junipers inter operate with any vendor’s switch devices very well.

Convergence

1. Cisco is the only vendor that delivers an all Unified Ports form factor of switches that can support any Ethernet or storage protocol (FC, FCoE, iSCSI, and NAS).
2 visitors found this review helpful

6 Comments

Karen NorthumConsultant

Pro's and Con's - Cisco vs. Juniper

Still reads like an ad for Cisco. This is not an item by item comparison of Cisco vs Juniper so does not seem like a real world comparison that gives more specific and extensive information. They both do have pluses and minus and true professionals know how to do their own comparisons.

I have nothing against Cisco. They represent a high standard. That being said, Juniper switches do the job and in the hands of skilled network engineers can match Cisco's performance in most areas if not exceed them in others.

What I do know is that the engineers who designed our network using Juniper switches have enabled us to win awards for our network's future ready design and dependibility. Yes, that could have been done with Cisco but it was more cost effective to use Juniper and device compatibility is a factor for us going forward.

The difference to me is in the quality of the people doing the work. Poor network managers, design and program engineers will not make CIsco perform any better than their own skill level. The human factor is important.

As far as convergence, most companies don't need to have support for any or all storage protocols, only the ones they use.

Use what you want. If you have deep pockets, need total convergence and like Cisco devices, use them. If your pockets are not as deep use Juniper devices. Makes no difference to me if it accomplishes what you need and you can pay whatever the cost. None of it is cheap.

23 March 15
it_user122517User

Still reads like a cisco ad. I have not seen a true comparison in this article.

27 August 15
Shiromi JayawardenaReal UserTOP 20POPULAR

I agreed, about pockets. But my explanation is about the brands. We can choose cheapest product what we want.

27 August 15
it_user510282Consultant

Both vendors can support a rich variety of Data center, campus and branch applications. I have seen my client use both in their infrastructures and the reasons they may have chosen Juniper over Cisco typically have been: better opex and capex, common operating system (typically more common features across products too) across their product portfolio and good clean management. By later I mean, really nice CLI, GUI and automation capabilities. In full disclosure I do work for Juniper.

10 September 16
it_user538842User

today, Cisco's talk all about ACI and their capabilities to deliver infrastructure as a service, automation and open stack integration for multi tenancy projects. Going far, how much time we need to configure such features and what level of expertise it requires to implement it in the right way???

24 October 16