Cisco FabricPath Review

Easy to set up, stable, and works well to provide switching redundancy

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco FabricPath is one of the networking infrastructure products that we implement for our customers.

This product is well suited to the needs of telecom. We are currently working on a project involving multiple data centers that are spread across India. It is used by ISPs for switching servers to their internal connectivity at the branch level. Essentially, it is working as a layer of redundancy in terms of switching.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are really good.

What needs improvement?

The management features are in need of improvement.

I have been working with Cisco FabricPath for 26 years.

Stability-wise, we have not experienced any problems.

We have had no issues with scalability.

I also have experience with a similar product from Aruba. I find it to be really good, but Aruba is lacking a little bit on the marketing side. From a functionality standpoint, both are more or less the same. Feature-wise, nothing is superior for Aruba or Cisco.

There is a specific market share for each of these vendors and I don't think that either one is able to take it over completely. If a customer prefers Cisco then it's more of a personal choice. On the other hand, if they're passionate about HP then they'll take a serious look at Aruba.

If you look at the Wi-Fi solutions being used on campuses then Aruba is gaining an advantage because it is easier to manage. Another good thing about Aruba is that they have a lifetime warranty.

The initial setup is straightforward and we don't have any issues with it.

The pricing for this product is good.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is the market leader in this space and it is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Cisco FabricPath reviews from users
...who compared it with Juniper QFabric
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, Arista and others in LAN Switching. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.