Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall Review

Monitoring via the dashboard enables customers to see what is happening in the system

What is our primary use case?

The use case has been for the banking sector, for one of our banking customers. According to them, it's working perfectly.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring, of course - the dashboard. It enables you to see what is happening.

What needs improvement?

It's lacking one feature: VPN. That is a feature we're looking for. Otherwise, the new devices have very good support, and the performance is quite good.

Also, the 2100 Series lacks a DDoS feature. If they could add that to those platforms, that would be good.

So far, since we installed it, there have been no issues.

In terms of scalability, it is really expensive. It is scalable, but when it comes to pricing, the upgrading is a bit high.

It's not straightforward. You need to know what you're doing, you need to be trained. I don't know for other vendors whether it's the same issue, but for Cisco you have to be trained on the system.

Check Point and Fortigate. Generally, our customers choose Firepower because they've seen the system work somewhere before, and they see it is stable and working perfectly. Those are the reasons they opt for Firepower.

What other advice do I have?

There are other solutions, like Fortigate, which are very good solutions, and cheaper for the customer. Even the support via subscription is favorable, in terms of pricing. I would really advise the customer to do some research first and come up with the best solution for their needs

I rate Firepower as an eight out of 10. It is a good solution but it is expensive compared to other products, like Fortigate. Still, some of our customers do prefer Firepower over the others.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Solutions provider/integrator.
More Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall reviews from users