Cisco Firepower NGFW Review

​NGFW features software stability, quick software updates for known bugs/vulnerabilities.

What is most valuable?

NGFW features software stability, quick software updates for known bugs/vulnerabilities. Why no hardware reliability (see Clock Signal Component Issue -Cisco)? Because without NGFW features it is basically like a home router.

How has it helped my organization?

It is small, nobody knows where it is, nobody knows what it is, it works silently. So, as there is no issue, it is good for business and organization.

What needs improvement?

License politics, license price, precise vendor roadmap for this product.

Two years.

Yes, FirePower is not stable, because every new software version comes with many features that cause problems. Cisco has to do it because other vendors have already added these features.

High.

3Com TippingPoint as IPS, Zyxel ZyWALL ZyXEL ZyWALLas VPN server. Cisco has good documentation and it is easy for Cisco certificated engineers.

Complex, because of non-ready Firepower service software setup.

The last years' experience showed that there is no full security, so why pay more. Any security vendor with a user-friendly interface, with good support, on-time updates for known vulnerabilities and reliable hardware, is acceptable for an organization.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco's ASA product line will be replaced by Cisco FTD. And Cisco FTD software is not ready for production (lack of many basic NGFW features). So, maybe only high-performance Firepower 41xx/21xx/90xx Series is good as IPS.