Cisco Firepower NGFW Review

Gives more visibility into what's going on when traffic comes in and goes out from the company

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for internet access for the enterprise or for users, publishing, email, and to protect the Libyana network.

How has it helped my organization?

Before Firepower, we didn't have any visibility about what attack was happening or what's going on from the inside to outside or the outside to inside. After Firepower and the reporting that Firepower generates, I can see what's going on: which user visits the malicious website, or which user uploaded or downloaded malicious code, and what the name of the code is and from which country. This is very useful and helpful for me to detect what's going on. It enables me to solve any problem.

What is most valuable?

They give me more visibility of what's going on when traffic comes in and goes out from the company or comes in from the outside. I can see what's going on with this traffic, which is a nice feature. I also like the malware inspection and management of the dashboard features. The management of the dashboard is different from the old Cisco Firewall. This management brings everything together into one management platform.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to develop better integration with other security platforms. I would also like for them to make the Cloud configuration easier.

Stability is perfect. I haven't had any problems.

Scalability is great. We have around 1,500 users.

Their technical support is good. I opened a ticket when we did the installation. We didn't have any issues with them.

We were previously using Cisco ASA without Firepower. We switched to Cisco Firepower because Firepower has more features, like malware inspection, and more possibilities with identity management.

The initial setup was a little complex. We required three staff members for deployment and maintenance.

We implemented ourselves. Deployment took around six months.

It's more expensive than Fortinet and Juniper. The price is high compared to other vendors. In general, for the license, it's not that expensive.

We also evaluated Fortinet and Juniper.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone considering this solution to subscribe to the URL filtering and to use malware inspection.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.