Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Review

Offers big storage space for hosting VMs but the setup was complex to integrate into an existing environment

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is the hosting of VMs.

We were just using standard ESX clusters on UCS flights. Instead, they chose HyperFlex to see if it could replace that solution.

This is just your standard ESX on blade server type of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco HyperFlex HX has improved the way our organization functions on the storage side by having one big storage space for hosting VMs. We do not have to provision other ones. That's a positive aspect of it.

What is most valuable?

I haven't been too impressed with the Cisco HyperFlex HX, honestly. It's a hard concept.

What needs improvement?

I don't work day-to-day enough with Cisco HyperFlex to be able to say what would necessarily make it better. Initial integration was tough.

Our group was just looking for another approach to hosting their various VMs.

So far, it's been fairly stable.

It seems like the Cisco HyperFlex is very scalable. Our deployment is small. We haven't tested out that aspect of it.

Technical support is good. I don't do day-to-day operations of it, another group does.

The initial setup of the Cisco HyperFlex HX was complex, i.e. trying to integrate it into an existing environment. It was more tailored for a brand new deployment, where you're just building it from the ground up.

We already had an existing system and we're trying to integrate it into it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I rate this product a seven. It seems like it would be easy to utilize for a new deployment.

I would prefer that Cisco not try to sell it as something that can integrate into an existing environment. They are beating down on that, but be aware.

The limitations, whether you're doing a new deployment or trying to integrate it into an existing system, might be tough.