Cisco IOS Security Review

Enables us to securely transfer data over the internet network but I would like the ability to automatically load balance

What is our primary use case?

I usually use it for GRE channels and VPNs. Is very stable and is a good solution. It has been stable.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm able to securely transfer data over the internet network. With the GRE I'm able to transfer data within one site to another sites in a public way, like the internet. The communication is encrypted and is private. It gives me added privacy.

What is most valuable?

The GRE kernels and IPSEC security are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There's a technology called SD-WAN that we would like to see. We are unable to handle multiple connections or to automatically load balance. I would like to have a feature that enables us to automatically prepare for load balancing.

More than five years.

It is stable but is missing functionalities. For example, everyone is bound to one single router.

This product is being used on a daily basis, 24/7. We are a bank, so it is always running. We have no downtime and our customers don't have any downtime.

You can do a lot in terms of the scalability. In my department, I have 11 branches that are using it and everything works flawlessly for them.

Cisco's technical support is the best.

I have previously used FortiGate and I didn't switch solution, I switched companies. Cisco is stable once it is up and running. You can forget about it, it's going to work unless the hardware fails. As your centers deploy, make sure it's configured and up and running. You just have to put it there and forget it.

The complexity of the initial setup will depend on your level of expertise and your experience with the product. It was simple for me but I have seen others struggle with it.

Usually, when I did deploy I do it on a lap setup. The time it takes depends mostly on how we are going to plan the deployment. It can be done within a day or a week.

Sometimes we will use an integrator for the deployment and sometimes we will do it ourselves.

The return on investment has already been achieved and it is great.

The solution is a one-off fee once, it's just a matter of whether we are using IOS security you want to use the IT functionality, you need to have the security licenses.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product you just have to have someone that really knows how to configure it otherwise it's going to be a nightmare.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.