Cisco IOS Security Review

Scalability suits all enterprise needs, but it could use a better interface

What is most valuable?

The VPN is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

With Cisco IOS, especially the routers, don't have like long-term tendency features, or high availability features available for the IOS. Also, it could use a better user interface.

I've been using the solution for 8 years.

The solution is extremely stable. It's one of the best. It's a stable solution.

In terms of scalability, it definitely suits all enterprise needs. The product is all we need for today's enterprise, for the client. For me, in terms of scalability, Cisco has the full package.

Technical support is very good.

I have used FortiGate and Palo Alto.

In terms of initial setup, it depends on the one doing it, but I never had any difficulties or struggled to integrate. For me, Cisco is always easy to set up. It's straightforward. Deployment is pretty fast, but sometimes it takes time to implement and to put into production. Deploying, confirmation, and then setting up the devices is straightforward. The most important part is migrating to production. This is sometimes the most important. Again, that depends on the criticality of the environment. It can be done in hours or sometimes weeks.

Under my supervision, for at least a hundred parts, one other person and I are needed for deployment. That's it. Two people.

I implemented the solution myself. I am an integrator.

The pricing is very expensive. Normally I do a yearly contract; I don't know the exact pricing, but it's around $75,000 USD per year. That's the standard licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is one of the greatest. The Cisco stack is the best. If you don't know it, don't go for the solution because it gets very complex. If you are new to the security, don't go for Cisco. But if you are experienced and you know how to do it, it's one of the greatest solutions.

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10. The solution is always stable, but there are many security features that Cisco is behind on today.

More Cisco IOS Security reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about Cisco IOS Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.