Cisco IOS Security Review

Has good routing features and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco IOS for security prevention. It enables us to check the network.

How has it helped my organization?

I didn't think that they would put servers in the DMZ. It also protects us from hackers; we haven't had any issues with them.

What is most valuable?

I've found their network routing to be very good.

It is also stable, has good scalability and is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I wish it would be more like the next generation firewall technology. There should be more selection between the application and filtering.

I would appreciate updates to reporting, in terms of data entry.

We have been using Cisco IOS for more than eight years.

We don't have any issues with stability. Cisco is always stable.

Scalability is easy.

We have a contract with the representative of DEO support, not just Cisco. So we have local support. If we have any issue, they respond to us directly by phone.

The initial setup was easy. There are step-by-step instructions, like many of their other products.

The solution is definitely valuable for us.

The licensing is on a subscription basis, and it is fairly costly. I would prefer a one-time payment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to take this firewall. It is really good. I would rate Cisco IOS as eight out of ten.

The next-generation firewalls, like UTM, have paper-thin single boxes. They should follow the same projects, like the next-generation firewall. They have everything like 40GBs in a single box, along with filtering applications, like VPN and SSN. They also have reporting features.