Cisco Email Security Review
Simple to add to our network and efficient to troubleshoot

Valuable Features:

• Cost-effective since they do not require extra hardware • They are simple to plug into the available network • Protection of mail channel works well regardless of the email client used • Efficient to troubleshoot

Room for Improvement:

• Requires several actions to employ rules • It takes time to harmonize information from the email log events with higher level reporting tools

Other Advice:

Security risks presented by web-based malware, spyware and web traffic exposes organizations to compliance and productivity dangers introduced by improper usage of the web within the organization. IronPort allows visibility into the problem and an easy way to pinpoint policy offenders. It includes a user friendly interface and easy content incorporation, filtering and reporting infrastructure.

2 Comments

it_user3870VendorLEADERBOARD

I think Cisco's Ironport is an enterprise solution, I would only suggest purchasing an Ironport if email traffic is huge (Sending/Receiving more than 1,000,000 emails a day) and also the connection port speed is over a GB. The reason being is that there are free applications that can be deployed to do the same job, for example - on Linux, Amavisd can be used, or on Windows, Argosoft can be used. Meaning that free software can practically do the same tasks and have the more or less the same functionality.

So a deployment of 3 Linux servers with Amavisd/Maia Mailguard providing email protection and routing could be more cost effective and better solution for SMEs than an Ironport.

Wissam

06 June 13
it_user386826Real User

I would not suggest Cisco Ironport to anyone, just installed a 40mb circuit and it's not going well pings to 108.171.131.161 are just sad. We are reviewing the configuration but overall it is just a waste of our time and money. I'm not impressed at all...

11 February 16