Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Review

Superior support, effective NAC, but difficult to configure

What is our primary use case?

My clients are small to enterprise-size companies using this networking solution. One of my clients is a leading pharmaceutical manufacturing company, providing genetic medicine. The network they have has approximately 5,000 device inventory. Additionally, I have a couple of clients in the banking industry in the USA that has quite a large networking infrastructure using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the NAC and the bundles that are available with Cisco ISE, such as Cisco ACS being integrated.

What needs improvement?

The solution infrastructure configuration is complicated to set up. They have improved over the years but there is still a lot of room to improve. When comparing the simplicity to other vendors, such as Fortinet and Aruba they are behind.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

Cisco's support system is very good and they are well known for it.

I am also using FortiNAC and it is similar to Cisco ISE. However, Cisco is spread across the globe with bigger clients, large enterprises. FortiNAC is not as mature, but they are still working their way up in the market

The price of the solution is price fair for the features you receive.

I have evaluated other solutions from Aruba and Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) a seven out of ten.

More Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Aruba ClearPass
Learn what your peers think about Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.