Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Review

Product failed in our industrialized environment. We did like the web GUI and SNMP.

What is our primary use case?

Manufacturing, server room, and office areas of former employer. Switches were great, except in the factory area, because the product is warmer. This was a machine shop with a lot of water-based coolant vapor in the air. This coalesced on cables, etc., and it made things sticky way up toward the ceiling where the switches and Cat 5 cables ran. I suspect that the coolant got into the switch and killed it. We replaced, then did it again.

How has it helped my organization?

They did not because in the factory area they kept failing, otherwise they were fine. That was not good enough after three Cisco and three Netgears all failed.

What is most valuable?

Manageable features, which we heavily used like web GUI and SNMP, except they failed in our environment. Unfortunately, this made them a wash for us. ProCurve switches were what replaced them eventually.

What needs improvement?

Make them tougher and more ruggedized for warmer and Industrial types of environments, and HumiSeal the main boards and internal components.

Eventually, we gave up using this product. We switched to Netgear ProSafe switches in the factory. We received the same result. What was weird was the web GUIs of both models failed as did SNMP and other features. Only basic plug and play features of switching seemed to work, but you could not ping the switches (managed models were all we used) and all of the management was dead.

What is interesting with Netgear: They allowed me to open our switch after three of theirs failed in the same way. I went through six switches in less than two years in this factory environment. Netgear allowed me to spray HumiSeal into their switch. I disassembled it, sealed the ports off, sprayed and dried the entire main board, then reassembled it. It still failed in the same fashion months later.

Eventually, we replaced it entirely with HPE ProCurve switches. They have never failed and still run to this day.