Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Review

Support for segmenting network into zones, but the price needs to be more competitive

What is our primary use case?

We don't do the deployment in our environment, we are consulting.

Our clients use this solution for the logical segmentation of the network to the access layer, and remote log switches.

They can also deploy the switches.

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to do the segmentation on the access layer. It allows you to segment the network into a zone or workgroups. By defining the VLAN you can logically separate the traffic. It helps minimize the risk with lateral movement and reduces the attack of Malware within your network.

What needs improvement?

I think that most everyone prefers a GUI rather than working through the command line. They have a GUI but it's not that interesting when you compare it to other vendors such as Check Point.

They should reduce the price to stay competitive. While the Cisco product is good, the pricing is not competitive. People will end up going with other cheaper solutions such as Arista.

The drawbacks come from support. The tools are rare, but to find someone knowledgeable with Cisco, is a problem.

There are issues with the C-Level required to maintain them and then to configure them.

I have been working with Ethernet Switches and doing technical work since 2010. Now I am doing architectural design work.

It's a stable solution. We have not experienced any bugs or issues.

Many data centers and enterprise data centers prefer Cisco to any other product because they are very stable.

This solution is scalable, it's easy to expand this platform.

I have not contacted technical support. I haven't done any configurations since 2010, and at that time I felt that it was difficult to find someone who was knowledgeable in Cisco.

I have not deployed this before, but from my research and my experience with Linksys, I think that it would be easy and straightforward.

I think that pricing should be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to be a Cisco master you need to have a good understanding of the command line and how to use it, which is difficult for some administrators. Many people would prefer solutions that you can configure through a GUI.

It is easier to configure an SPC as opposed to a Cisco switch.

People are finding alternative solutions because of the price. The same happened with Firewall landscapes, people are moving away from checkpoint and Cisco and going with Juniper or FortiGate, because of the pricing and licensing model.

I would suggest that people continuously upskill themselves to remain relevant in the industry.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Ethernet Switches
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.