Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Review

Traffic analytics give us insight and the management and upgrades are very simple and straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We use our Meraki system to provide new IOD access and internal access for wifi devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides an easy login page for most students.

In terms of wireless network visibility, we have a lot more insight into what students are doing now. We can track down peer to peer very quickly and can just lock it down. If we find an offender that gets caught with the law, we can direct the authorities directly to them.

The solution also reduced our false positives by about 50%, as well as saves us time, money, and administrative work.

What is most valuable?

The management and upgrades are very simple and straightforward.

Traffic analytics give us insight, but they don't decrypt anything.

What needs improvement?

I would be interested in seeing more enterprise-level, advanced user features.

Technical support can be improved, as well as having more detailed capabilities to go without using an API.

I would rate scalability as five out of ten. It's kind of hard to say.

Their technical support is hit or miss.

The wifi solution that we had before wasn't great so we had to go with something else.

It's a pretty good value, but not great. Pricing is on a yearly basis for the Meraki solution.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson we've learned is that wifi systems are very complicated. My advice is to be sure you understand the depth that the system gives you.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten. It's a pretty solid solution. It lacks the advanced features that I would like to see to do proper wireless engineering, but it's a pretty solid solution.