Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Review

A fully-managed Wi-Fi solution to provide internet access for our guests

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to allow access to our guests and to grant our employees Wi-Fi access while at work. Mainly we use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN as a Wi-Fi solution, occasionally as switches, but primarily as a wireless solution.

The deployment model was on a public cloud.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it is a fully managed solution. We can deploy it and check in on our customers without having an on-site connection or an on-site infrastructure for elderly customers.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for Meraki needs improvements made to the waiting times. The explanation when you have problems, and the tools in place to follow the case, are not very good.

They should reconsider the rules under licensing. If you do not pay your subscription within the month of it being due, the use of the product will stop.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This is a stable solution, it's perfect! We have not had any issues with glitches or crashes. Once it's installed, it's running all of the time without problems.

This solution is scalable.

We have more than one thousand users, and we have plans to increase usage in the future.

I have contacted the technical support once or twice but to be honest, the technical support is not very good for Meraki.

I had contacted the technical assistance center for Cisco to order parts, and they have a really good support center.

On the Meraki end, it is not the best part of this solution.

Previously we used other solutions from Cisco, other vendors, and small vendors with local Wi-Fi controllers.

The configuration for our customers was very complex so we switched to Cisco Meraki Wireless.

A person who doesn't have the experience or background will need some assistance in the beginning. They will not be able to open the box without one or two words of explanation, after that, it is very easy.

This solution is very easy to deploy, install, and to manage.

We have an experienced internal team in place that knows the features in the deployment of Meraki products very well. They know how to manage it and we propose this to our customers as well.

We are resellers and we did the implementation ourselves.

You have to renew your contract every year, or for three or for five years. If you do not pay right away they will suspend your subscription.

You only have the option to pay yearly, not monthly.

This solution is expensive, but it's a Cisco product and the solution is really stable. You pay for the quality of the product.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, it's really good.

It's a good solution for small to medium-sized businesses or companies. We sell this solution to small businesses here in Belgium.

Meraki is easier to configure than other solutions, which is most likely the reason why Cisco purchased Meraki.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller.