Cisco Nexus Review

Feature-rich, easy to develop, good support, but it's expensive and needs a better GUI

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for Data Center switches.

What is most valuable?

I like the supportability because it's Cisco. I like the fact that they are a well-supported product.

I am comfortable with the operating system and I like the regularity of them.

They are quite straightforward and easy to develop.

What needs improvement?

I am looking for a GUI that goes alongside them and more SD-WAN built to their core switches.

I'm looking at changing our firewall estate, and at the same time, looking at integrating our firewalls with whatever our core switch solution is going to be. I can't necessarily do that with the costings of a Cisco organization, as they're too expensive.

I have been working with Cisco Nexus for two and a half years.

I am happy with the stability.

It's feature-rich, and they are expandable.

We have approximately a thousand users.

Cisco's technical support and their global footprint are one of the reasons I would stay with Cisco, and I can get their hardware from anywhere in the world.

I wasn't there at the time, but I know who put it in and it was straightforward.

It took a couple of weeks to deploy.

We have two engineers to maintain this solution.

I thought that it would be less expensive. I always thought that Cisco charges more because of who they are, above the product itself.

Whilst it's the best of the breed, and it's the top right-hand corner at Gartner, I wonder how long that would be attractive.

What other advice do I have?

To others who are interested in this solution, I would say that if you have the money to spend and you want you to want to branch out to the rest of the world, then you should use this solution.

I would rate Cisco Nexus a seven out of ten.

More Cisco Nexus reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Catalyst Switches
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Nexus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.