Cisco Nexus Review

Safe and stable software for network appliances with good customer support

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Nexus for data center requirements and interconnectivity.

What is most valuable?

VPC is the most valuable feature for us.

We have been using Cisco Nexus for more than 10 years.

Cisco Nexus is very safe and stable. I've been here 8 months. We have some devices that have been out for 11 years.

It's scalable.

Cisco customer support is very easy and very quick. If I need to I can get somebody on the phone straight away.

I've used Ruckus, HP, Dell, and smaller products for enterprise solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The hardest part with Cisco Nexus is learning new features. What would be nice is if Nexus were easier to use. Best practices in deployment would be helpful.

Cisco Nexus is just a platform. You just set it up, give it an IP, and then start configuring it. But there are a million features to configure.

I'm always thinking of the environment a little bit as I learn new things. After the initial sale, deployment I can do in an hour. Once you start trying to fork out the little kinks, it is longer.

Pay attention to what shows up in your excess logs. We try to stay current with updates. Try to keep up with that.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Nexus a 10 for stability. There's always room for improvement.