Cisco Nexus Review

Easy to use, provides stability, easy to configure, and provides communication to the data center

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to provide Nexus 9000 in different models for the user on top of our switches or as core switches. It depends on the design and the customer's needs.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved the way our organization functions in the way that we have been able to implement this product in many customer's sites and it has been running for one of our main customer's enterprise sine 2014.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is easy to use, provides stability, easy to configure, low latency, and it provides communication to the data center.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, the stacking between the two switches in the higher availability model should be similar to Catalyst. It's better to have one interface for configuration.

I hope to see more features for high-availability configuration such as a VSS configuration on the Catalyst series. To have one management console for both chassis. I also hope to see the dependency on the management interface for high-availability lowered.

What needs improvement is the price on the DNA subscription. It's obligatory for all the switches and you should have the option to remove it or keep it as optional. Cisco has the option to remove it now. We have agreed that in the future, they will offer a permanent license for it.

We have been using Cisco Nexus for more than five years.

It's stable.

Nexus has good scalability features. It provides the customer's needs.

The solution's technical support is good. We had to deal with some cases and the response times were very good. It met expectations. Response time was amazing. The customer was satisfied.

We used to have another solution and used other products. This product provides us with better high-performance support at a good price.

The initial set up was very straightforward. It is easy to follow and we didn't have any obstacles during the implementation.

We used both a reseller and a product consultant.

Cisco Nexus has provided a good initial cost for our customers with minimum renewal fees over the next few years.

Customers do not understand the new licenses or subscription very well. Cisco should work on this.

The subscription for licensing is expensive while other vendors provide a switch with everything at a lower price.

We previously used Catalyst 6500.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Cisco Nexus a nine because it has helped us a lot with our customers. There's always room for improvement.

I would advise someone considering this solution to go for it. It's a stable product.