Cisco NGIPS Review

What is our primary use case?

It detects attacks from malicious intrusions and malicious activity before they happen.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped improve productivity and detect attacks before they happen.

What is most valuable?

Signature rules from the Snort community around the world.

What needs improvement?

• I would like to see better integration with SIEMs.
  • Better rule building using other tools, like LuaH and Python.
  • Better performance.
  • Better intelligence gathering in domains, the main URLs, and endpoint solutions.

It's very reliable. We really like the product and will be staying with the product a while.

At this point in time, it's making it a little bit difficult to scale due to the company, as the vendor is making some changes. We are waiting to see if the product is scalable or not.

Rating the technical support from one to five (where five is high), I would rate them as a two. I find them to be very bad.

This was originally a Snort product, which was open source. So, there is a community for it worldwide.

We used ISS from IBM in the past, but it was causing many issues and was dropping packets. It was not an ideal solution, so we moved to Sourcefire FirePower NGIPS.

The initial setup is easy because I am very familiar with the product.

We buy the licensing on a yearly basis, when we renew our contract. It is around $14,000.

McAfee and Palo Alto were on our shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

The product is a ten because it is the only product in the market like this.