Cisco NGIPS Review

Offers valuable web filtering and JPS features and their technical support responds quickly

What is most valuable?

I've found the web filter and JPS the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There are some features not found in Firepower, like data loss prevention, and SSO, to have a connection between Cisco and Active Directory, which was introduced on other products.

In the future, I'd like the same solution in other UTM solutions. I know it has an application filter, but it's not really improving. Also, DLP needs to prevent data loss. Those two features are really important now for firewalls and for the security. The data loss prevention really is the most asked for feature from the customer. Often they ask about how we can prevent loss of emails, of data, files. It's really important.

I've been using the solution since 2014.

The solution is stable. This is one of the good things about Firepower. Especially if we use ESE with it. That would make it the complete solution for Cisco for security. If it is the complete solution, it's stable and there are no issues with the product. If the user isn't connected all the time, for example, if we look at some sites or some users, sometimes the connection for the user gets disconnected with each session. Sometimes the filter doesn't work.

The solution is good to scale.

The technical support is really good. Not only for this solution. The support of Cisco is always good. From the first call, the response is quick and there is no problem with the support.

The initial setup is not complex. There is a wizard so it's not complex. There is a difference in the complexity of the deployment. Depending on customers and infrastructure, sometimes it takes one day or two days if we're talking about a little infrastructure. Sometimes it can take eight days or more to couple the firewall with ASA, and to do some more complex architecture. If we have a complex architecture, we need 2 people to implement, but if we have an implementation that is not so complex, one person can do it.

I do the implementation myself.

Most of the time the ROI good. The customer, most of the time, is happy and is convinced of the usefulness of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

If someone wants to use Cisco Firepower, the solution is easy. The complete solution is the best for having the full security of a Cisco infrastructure. If I could advise someone with the deployment, I would advise taking the complete solution, in order to have a really scalable and stable solution. Or, if you can't take the complete solution, I'd advise taking a cluster of Firepower to have the scalability and stability.

I would rate this solution a 7 or 8 out of 10. If they could add a few of the mentioned features or do something more with the application filter it would be a 9 or a 10 out of 10.

More Cisco NGIPS reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Cisco NGIPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.