Cisco Prime LAN Management Review
Very good LAN management software with limited OS compatibility

Valuable Features:

SNMP based polling really helps to manage networks and find if any device report any error. It supports more than 600 Cisco device types. Reports can be scheduled automatically. It generates the reports automatically. You can see the reports on a browser or as a CSV file. Cisco IPSLA is a cool feature which will automatically check if the network is ready for any media. The Hover-Over feature allows you to launch telnet or SSH with one click. ODBC connectivity allows you to connect to any database which can be third-party. The web based portal is very light.

Room for Improvement:

The major drawback of this product is, its not compatible with Linux machines. Not only Linux, It is not compatible with Windows 2003 Servers also is not compatible with 32 bit operating systems. The OS has to be 64 bit in order to run this program.

Other Advice:

I am using this program for a couple of months now and I have to say that I can really save a lot of time and generate error free reports. It works with any Cisco products so administration is becoming a cake walk. The Hover Over is just great, it can also identify mistakes and show that to you when you hover over the devices. It also shows what is the error.

1 Comment

it_user7665ConsultantTOP 20POPULAR

As far as I recall, there are some particular devices for which there is no support in Linux platform. However, I don't remember seeing any issue with 32 bit machines. Can you be more specific and elaborate it a bit?

11 July 13