Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

Provides visibility as well as management and administration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a perimiter firewall and do VPNs and filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

As a reseller, because Cisco includes different companies like Sourcefire, Meraki, and Talos, I think Cisco has a good portfolio for the security business, with their own devices too. For example, we have our firewall, we have a Web security appliance, things like OpenDNS with Umbrella. I think Cisco can cover with all the platforms.

What is most valuable?

All the visibility the device gives us as well as management and administration facilities.

What needs improvement?

It needs better documentation for when we present solutions to non-technical people. They need to bring together all the information, across the various firewalls, so that we can more clearly explain them.

Also, pricing could be better.

It's very stable.

When we implement a firewall we need to be aware of whether it is growing over a short time period or a long time period. I think the scalability, from our implementation, is good because you can use the same configuration for another platform. If you implement on a small platform, it It is easy to implement the same configuration to another, bigger device.

I think tech support is a large part of Cisco. It's good, it provides support around the clock, answers problems. I would rate it nine out of 10.

SonicWall.

For some things it is very easy, but configuring other things is a little complex. It depends on the use case.

Cisco may be a little expensive but it has everything, and they support very well.

Juniper, Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I think Cisco has all the solutions: switching, routing, security, they have wireless. You can cover all the devices with Cisco. They have all the network and engineered tools to help resolve the issues that we have. They are really very good devices.

In terms of advice, I would say Cisco is the best company. They're very stable, there aren't too many issues. And when there is an issue they have many engineers who can solve the problem.