Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

Increases efficiency of servicing our customers by joining our networks

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to join our private network to the customer's network.

In our business, we don't have to be on the customer's network, so a lot of people will install cheap equipment. We're trying to push it to where we can standardize the equipment, although the cost of Cisco products would have to come down a little bit in order for us to be more competitive.

How has it helped my organization?

Firewalls are difficult, and this solution gives us outside access to connect with the customer's network and service them better. It makes us more efficient.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to use if you know how to set it up.

The most valuable features are on the routing side, with the control between the two networks and the rules that are in there.

What needs improvement?

The inclusion of an autofill feature would improve the ease of commands.

This solution would benefit from being more cost-effective.

This solution is very stable, and I haven't seen any issues with it.

Scalability doesn't really apply to us, as it is just a firewall client.

Technical support for this solution is really good. We had an issue with a firewall and it was a good turnaround that was quick.

Our implementation of this solution was driven by the customer.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward. We did have some rules that somebody had put on it that didn't match up, but we got it all worked out.

We implemented this solution in-house.

With respect to the routers and switches, or the core stacks that we get, they seem to be pretty comparable so I don't have any issues with the licensing.

Some of our customers would be more likely to standardize on Cisco equipment if the cost was lower because a lot of people install cheap equipment.

While we have a partnership with Cisco, there are other products that have been used within the company. After evaluating other products such as those by Barracuda, it just happened that this solution worked out better for us. I like the Cisco reputation.

What other advice do I have?

With this solution, we have everything that we need. I don't know about other people's use cases, but ours is pretty straightforward.

My advice to anybody researching this type of solution is to stick with Cisco products, no matter which one it is. We've had pretty good luck with everything from Cisco.

I don't have any issues with this solution, so I would rate it a ten out of ten.