Cisco Sourcefire Firewalls Review

Advanced Malware Protection works well to protect against cyber threats

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to protect data from unauthorized access.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is AMP (Advanced Malware Protection), as this is really needed to protect against cyber threats.

The IPS is a must for a firewall.

What needs improvement?

The firewall throughput is limited to something like 1.2 Gbps, but sometimes we require more. Cisco makes another product, Firepower Threat Defence (FTD), which is a dedicated appliance that can achieve more than ten or twenty gigabits per second in terms of throughput.

I have found that Cisco reporting capabilities are not as rich as other products, so the reporting could be improved.

We have been using this solution for three years.

This is a reliable solution.

We started with version 5.4, but there were many releases available on the website and we were obliged to aggregate, step by step, to reach the current version.

This solution is really scalable and reliable. In my opinion, Cisco products are always scalable.

Cisco has a very good team for support. They are always available, and they give you a flexible solution. It is not just about getting a solution. We are learning, as well, when we request assistance. They also have a knowledge base that we can access in order to find resolutions for problems.

We were using the SonicWall solution prior to this one, but it reached end-of-life because we had updated our architecture. This is why we migrated to a next-generation firewall. We had also been using Fortinet FortiGate.

The initial setup of this solution was a bit complex because it was a new technology for us. We did find documentation on the vendor's website, and it also helped that we found some videos on how to do the configuration.

Our initial deployment took approximately three months because we were learning from scratch. We still had some service requests open because we could not fine-tune the solution, and ultimately it took a full year to fully deploy.

This solution is managed by the qualified people in our network engineering team.

We tried to deploy this solution by ourselves, but our team was not quite qualified to implement this solution. It was a good opportunity for us to learn about it.

We are in the process of renewing our three-year license, which costs approximately $24,000 USD for the thirty-six months. In terms of licensing, this product costs a lot, but this cost can save my assets that could be millions for my company. There is no choice.

We did have knowledge of other products, but we chose this solution because it facilitates the sharing of information with their knowledge base. It helps you learn from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is not to think twice about it. There are a lot of features that come with the cost. These institutions secure our network and they have to do research. The price of this solution is justified when you consider that it secures our network and protects our valuable assets.

This is a very good solution but it is not perfection.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.