Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Review

Enables us to prevent and detect intrusion in our network and actually decrease our SLA

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is security, mostly in intrusion prevention.

How has it helped my organization?

With Cisco Sourcefire SNORT, we've been able to prevent and detect intrusion in our network and actually decrease our SLA (Service Level Agreement).

What is most valuable?

For us, the scalability of the solution is really useful. We were able to rebuild our network recently and we plan to add another 500 nodes throughout South America.

What needs improvement?

One addition to the current product that I think would be helpful is if it was integrated into the Cisco DNA Center. Between their security side, their routing, and the wireless side, they kind of have a gap. If they could bridge the gap and integrate all those in the DNA Center, I think that would be a good goal and something useful to users.

We haven't had any problem with the stability of the solution so far. It's been a solid platform and considering how quickly we scaled without any major issues, the stability really speaks for itself.

When we recently upgraded our network the scalability of the product became obvious. We're planning to add about 500 extra nodes throughout South America and we're able to scale the platform to be able to utilize the solutions.

I honestly haven't had to use technical support that much because we haven't had that many issues. I guess that says something about the quality of the product when you don't need to use tech support in an installation as large as ours.

The main reason why we switched to this solution had to do with growth. We were growing at a very high rate at the time so we needed a solution that could handle a much larger architecture reliably. This was just one of the options that we were looking at and we really thought we'd benefit from the top-notch solution that the platform was.

The initial setup was fairly simple. We did it a couple of years ago but I remember it went well. It was, I think, a three-month project and rolled over pretty easily into our expansion.

The initial implementation was done with the assistance of a consultant. I don't remember the name of the group but it was a good experience. We enjoyed their experience and assistance very much.

There were a couple of other products that we considered at the time. None of them made it very far in the process because they just didn't have a lot of the capabilities that we were looking for. Cisco came out on top.

What other advice do I have?

I'd give the product a nine out of ten because it is excellent in scalability, ease of management, and ease of use.

The only reason it isn't a ten out of ten is some of the gaps in integration. I think if they could improve integration with other platforms to make it more fluid to connect between the different platforms and platform management, that would make it a much better solution. The integration issues are probably the only knock off I have on the product so far.