Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Review

A straightforward setup, and flexible enough to activate based on any rule that I want

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution, in conjunction with the Cisco Firepower 4000 series, for security in our data center. We also use it with a Cisco Firepower 2000 series for our VPN and internet access firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is support for everything in the same box, including IPS, High Availability, etc.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to be more customizable.

The customization of the rules can be simplified.

We have been using this solution for about five months.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution that I can apply to any rule I want.

We have approximately five hundred and fifty employees who are protected by this solution.

We contacted technical support many times during our deployment, but none of them were directly related to Sourcefire SNORT.

Prior to this solution, we used McAfee. We switched because we replace our firewalls every five or six years.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The deployment took approximately two days, which included applying the IPS rules in the Sourcefire policy.

One person is suitable for deployment and maintenance.

A support company assisted us with the deployment.

We have a three-year license for this solution.

We evaluated Fortinet FortiGate and Palo Alto before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are satisfied with this solution. The whole solution is very good, and stable.

There are three modes that can be configured. The first is collectivity over security, the second is security over collectivity, and the third is a balanced mode. We have implemented a balanced mode, and it works just fine.