Cisco Stealthwatch Review

Enables us to detects threats early on, ensuring that our network stays secure

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Stealthwatch mostly for network visibility and security. I believe the solution reduces false-positives by flagging it as potential threats.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of how this solution has affected network visibility, we're finding devices that junior network engineers, people who don't want to wait for proper channels, have added to the network. This solution enables us to find them and shut them down.

It has reduced our incident response time. We can now narrow down where incidents are happening, so it very helpful for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is the deep level of knowledge that we get on every device as well as what other devices it's talking to.

Analytics and threat detection capabilities are a little overwhelming. I would say it's about average.

The solution reduces the amount of time it takes to detect and remediate threats.

We've been using this solution for around a year now.

So far we haven't had any issues with the stability of the solution. We haven't gone through a major upgrade cycle yet.

Our initial deployment was built out to the right size for our organization.

There hasn't been any need to ask for technical support since our initial deployment, where we used a reseller.

The initial setup was straightforward but required a lot of data entry, to begin with building out the server types and network types.

We used a reseller for the deployment, CDW.

We evaluated Plixer, but the fact that Stealthwatch was Cisco integrated, sold it for us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to really look at how many traffic rows you're generating on your network when you decide to do your deployment. Personally, it is too early to know if there is room for improvement, but I will rate this solution an eight out of ten.