Cisco Stealthwatch Review

Easy to investigate flow and has improved the processes for mitigating any risks

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for Stealthwatch is to provide insights into what traffic is flowing through the network for our security operations center. With that, they can go and enforce security.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the processes for mitigating any risk that might be. So when we find traffic that we don't want to allow, then it makes it easy to actually investigate where the traffic was and then we have the history as well.

This solution has improved network visibility a lot. We have a thousand sites around the world. So trying to figure out how the users are using the network is not an easy job. By using Stealthwatch, we are actually able to get the visibility of what they're using and also to get some kind of insights into patterns that they are having. For example, browsing YouTube, Facebook, and so forth.

Stealthwatch increased the threat detection rate, but not our incident response time.

It has also reduced the amount of time it takes us to detect and remediate threats, by about 20%.

What is most valuable?

The feature most valuable for us is to gain visibility of what is actually floating through, so we can stop it based on whether it's good or bad traffic.

Their analytics and threat detection capabilities are good, too.

We haven't had any stability issues so far, but we have only been running it for half a year.

The scalability is good, seen from a license perspective, as well.

We haven't really used the technical support yet, but in general, they are good.

The initial setup was complex. Lancope was the owner of Stealthwatch until Cisco acquired them and there are still a lot of dependencies on Lancope, which makes the overview a bit difficult to get.

We deployed it ourselves.

I don't think we have saved money, to be honest. But you cannot measure security and money.

We looked into Darktrace, but we chose Stealthwatch because we have an ELA agreement, and that makes the product available to us already. But also in relation to actually the threat intelligence that Cisco has, they are fitting nicely in with the rest of our products.

What other advice do I have?

Implement it, because it will give a lot of insights together with ISE and so forth, so it's really good.

I would rate this as an eight out of ten because there is still room for documentation and so forth, to be more streamlined.

I don't know if there's a lesson I have learned. What we have really learned from this exercise is how our users are working.