Cisco Stealthwatch Review

Decreased troubleshooting steps to resolve issues and saves us time, money, and administrative work

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to monitor our network, especially our remote branches.

How has it helped my organization?

Stealthwatch has decreased our troubleshooting steps and also cut down on the amount of time it takes us to resolve an issue.

We're able to map out our environment using Stealthwatch and we can see where our data is going, throughout our network.

Stealthwatch reduced our incident response rate, as well as the amount of time it takes to detect and remediate threats by about 25%.

This solution saves us time, money, and administrative work.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature we got out of Stealthwatch is to be able to, while troubleshooting, go deep into one of our interfaces and verify what the bandwidth is and if there's any activity there that's causing problems.

In terms of their analytics, we use the stats that we get from the tool itself to see that we're using a high utilization of the tool. As far as troubleshooting, it helps us to analyze some of the effects that our customers are seeing.

What needs improvement?

The overall visibility into the actual device itself would be helpful. I don't just want support-specific data, but also to be able to see information such as CPU and other internal components or usage of the devices.

The solution's very stable. Even through the upgrades after Cisco's acquisition, it has proved to be very stable.

It scales very well.

We haven't had to use it much. When we have, it's been similar to most Cisco technical support, which is very knowledgeable and helpful.

We previously used SolarWinds. The version of SolarWinds that we were using didn't give us the visibility that we needed, so we switched to Stealthwatch.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have seen a return on investment, from the fact that we now take less time to resolve an issue because we have Stealthwatch. We can capture some data in real time, or we can actually go back in the history base if we have to, to see where the issues may have started, and we also have baselines.

Their time to value is very good. We've upgraded and we just relicensed, so this is definitely a product that we use.

The yearly licensing cost is about $50,000.

We evaluated SolarWinds, WhatsUp Gold, and a couple of others that I can't think of right now.

What other advice do I have?

My biggest lesson learned was how easy it is to use and to what extent it decreased our troubleshooting time. My advice is to buy Stealthwatch.

I would probably rate this as a nine out of ten. It gives us most of what we need. The one thing that's missing is probably being able to view a little deeper into the devices themselves, not just the port but the actual health of the devices.