Cisco Stealthwatch Review

Provides never-before-seen data and intelligence using the encrypted traffic analysis feature

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to help protect against threats on our network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped to save us against threats, and issues. Regarding threats, we have been able to go out and mitigate some of them.

Ironically, if we consider it from the standpoint of “searching for an issue”, while it does save us time, it also provides us with more threats and issues that we would not be able to see without the product. In this regard, it also increases the work. With more threats being detected, it takes longer to examine them.

In terms of detection rate improvement, we have a lot more visibility than we’ve had in the past.

It has reduced the amount of time it takes to detect and remediate threats. It has also reduced false positives.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having visibility into the data segments throughout our network.

Using the encrypted traffic analysis has given us more intelligence on the data that we're seeing, and provides us with even greater visibility. We can now see stuff that we haven't been able to see.

There is an encrypted analytics feature that gives us visibility into some of the encrypted traffic.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more expansion in artificial intelligence and machine learning features.

There does not seem to be much available in terms of training for the product. We use several training institutions, and this solution is not on any of their lists.

There are no stability issues with the product.

I think that the solution is very scalable. I believe that if we had to expand, we can easily add port collectors to our environment across the enterprise, and use the same management system to view the data.

We have not yet had to scale the solution.

Only five of our engineers have been in contact with technical support. Because I don't work with the product day to day, I don't have any feedback.

We did not have a solution like Stealthwatch. We heard about the product and the value it was able to give to companies regarding threats, and we thought it would be the right solution for us.

Installing the solution is straightforward, although the tuning can be complex. In our case, we didn't have any pre-training or the skills required before deploying it. So, tuning was a little complex.

We deployed the product with the assistance of our Cisco account engineers. We have a great engineering team assigned to our account.

We pay for support costs on a yearly basis.

We evaluated Darktrace after the fact. The Cisco Stealthwatch solution tied in well with our other Cisco products, so we decided that this was the way to go, for now.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good tool, although it is just one piece of our security. We have other security tools that we use to help detect threats.

The amount of information that this product gives us for detecting threats is very valuable, and we don't have another product like this in our environment. Threats can take down a company, so this is something that we like, and need.

All companies should have a solution like this. Firewalls and IPS systems, along with other security tools are valuable, but they do not have the particular functionality of this one.

My advice for anybody implementing this solution is to get training on it before their deployment.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.