Cisco Tetration Review

A secure and stable solution for our on-premises network analytics

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is security. We check processes on the different components of the virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of this solution needs to be improved. For us, we are not yet at the breaking point, but it is a question.

This is an agent-based system but it is not clear how to efficiently deploy an agent. If you discover new assets, you can ask the neighbor on the network for functional sites. You can't deploy the agent because they don't have the feature. Sometimes you deploy from a web server and you discover new assets, but it fails to deploy for some reason.

The cartography has to be improved. We can add a new one, but we would like to be able to see the performance advantage of our changes over time.

The interface is really helpful for technical people, but it is not user-friendly.

We have been conducting a POC for two months.

This is a really stable solution and we have not had any incidents. All of the features from Cisco are stable, although sometimes they are buggy.

We have had issues with scalability.

We have ten people using this solution, with approximately four thousand assets.

Technical support for this solution is really good. For this kind of solution, you have cutting-edge support. The only problem is that many of the specialists only speak English, which sometimes makes it difficult as we are a French company. Aside from the interaction with people, however, the support is really good. If you have a complex case then they work with you until you have a solution.

We have also used Check Point CloudGard and Carbon Black. We stopped using Carbon Black because it is only for another website service.

The initial setup of this solution is complex because you need to have a good understanding of your information system. You need to tag your different assets.

It took two people approximately one week to deploy. It is a full-time commitment to deploy this solution, and after that, you need to implement controls to tag the assets.

It is a prerequisite from Cisco that you have one of their product specialists for the deployment. You can't build the solution without assistance. I think that this is due to the cost of the solution, and hundreds of people have had a bad experience.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a team with a good understanding of your information systems in order to have benefits with this kind of solution.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to define what you want to use, and what you need from the tool. You can't have rules that are too strict in the beginning because otherwise, you can't go to production. Over time, you will have a clear view of what is ongoing with your information system. This allows you to improve step-by-step. This is a long-term approach.

This is a good solution, but it should be more user-friendly and easier to deploy agents.