Cisco UCS Director Review

Strong solution that unifies computer systems while still being easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for Cisco UCS is workflow enhancement.

How has it helped my organization?

The improvement for our organization has really been ease of use. We'd be a mess without the solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me as a user is that you can make API calls to it. That's a cool feature.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved is including a feature where I could do things programmatically versus having to create workarounds to get what I want to get done. Any more features would be welcome. They should keep developing API.

As far as the stability of the solution, it's pretty rock solid. It works really well and I have no complaints.

We don't have the need to grow too much or too fast. We're strictly west coast and there's not a lot we're doing to change that. So as far as personal experience with scaling, I wouldn't know too much. If we ever became a national global company, yeah, we'd probably use it and roll it out to scale up and I don't think there would be problems.

It is hard for me to judge technical support because we haven't had to use it. It's a good problem to have. I did call one time — the only time I did have to call in anything on the UCS — and the problem was resolved in like five minutes. So, as my only contact, I'd say he was very good. At a scale of one to ten that experience with support was at least eight. I mean it wasn't anything major — the world wasn't on fire. But it's good to know that the tech people are knowledgeable and dedicated.

We are so committed to this technology that I don't even know if there's another UCS Manager out there.

I'm not sure how complex the initial setup was because it happened before I came to the company.

The initial implementation was done through a VAR (Value Added Reseller). Again, I wasn't here for the rollout but I didn't hear anything negative about the experience.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution should be considered an eight out of ten. To get a ten from me and for what I do, there has to be more flexibility in the API. I'm tired of being the tip of the sword. Enhance programming and programmability.

As I said, I don't know if there's somebody else who does something like Cisco's UCS management. So I think my capabilities kinda get pigeonholed a little bit.