Cisco UCS Director Review

Good multi-cloud management capability, but third-party and legacy integration needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is the interconnection between two applications. One that resides on the data center and the other that resides in the architecture.

It's a scale-out architecture and a hybrid setup. In case there are any workloads, it works on either public or private cloud architecture.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that I would like to highlight is the multi-cloud management capabilities on the USC Director. I can manage multiple workloads whether it's on AWS, Azure, or on-premises. They can be managed by using the UCS Director. That is one of the most important features that I find to be the most relevant.

What needs improvement?

Normally, UCS Director is used primarily for orchestration, but when we look at a non-Cisco data infrastructure components, the UCS Director needs a bit more improvement in terms of integration with third-party systems and with existing older systems.

I feel that more development or a more integrated road map should be set up so that it becomes a common platform for any infrastructure.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see changes in the navigation controls of UCS Director. That would be helpful. Modifying the icons that are available for use, as well as virtualization aspects.

I have been working with this solution for two years.

In terms of stability, it is very good.

There is a significant amount of development happening in the background and constant releases for bug fixes, which is one of the features that is offered. Cisco provides very thorough release cycles.

When you are looking at upgrades and bug fixes, we have a more stable solution compared to any other vendor.

Scalability is amazing. As of now, it supports the open virtualization format, which is the format for VMware and vSphere. We have the virtual hard disk as a concept, which is the VHD. It works with Microsoft Hyper-V.

If you look at the ecosystem, you have better compatibility metrics. The only problem is that if I have an HP infrastructure already in place, I have to set it with external APIs to manage third-party solutions.

As usual, the technical support from Cisco is amazing. The process is clearly defined, and if you have the right service contract it is easy to approach them. It is very easy to get support from them.

The support is offered during the pre-sale activity when you are doing the sizing of the requirements, as well as post-sale. If you run into a problem then there is consultative support available.

The initial setup was easy.

We were able to deploy UCS Director and get it up and running within four to six hours.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to look at the features that you are looking for.

If you are looking for central management and a self-service catalog, and are predominantly in a mix of the cloud as well as on-premises architecture, then you should look at UCS Director as a solution.

There are some advantages offered, such as:

• Adaptive provisioning, which ensures real-time availability, capacity planning, and internal policy.
  • Dynamic capacity management, which provides continuous monitoring of the infrastructure and resources.
  • Multiple hypervisor support, which is very important.
  • Computing management, which allows you faster provisioning, providing you with monitoring and management on a physical and bare-metal server.

Before you do the sizing and the requirement, ensure that you go through with the compatibility metrics of UCS Director before you invest.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Cisco UCS Director reviews from users