Cisco Umbrella Review

Easy to set up and use, but deep packet inspection is needed and they should have a data center based in India

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella to provide protection for our end-users. It prevents unauthorized access to their systems, as well as halts access to compromised sites, such as a ransomware site. Essentially, all of the malicious activity is prevented.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the DNS-based protection. It is the only type that is available in India.

The interface is very easy to handle. Even a person with limited knowledge can quickly learn to work with it.

What needs improvement?

Deep packet inspection features should be implemented. This solution does not give us full, 360-degree protection.

They should have a local data center available in India.

I have been working with Cisco Umbrella for four months.

I haven't experienced any instability.

This is a highly scalable product.

I have been in contact with the Cisco technical support, once or twice. They were not big issues, however. Overall, I am satisfied with the support.

Prior to Cisco Umbrella, we were using on-premises solutions. The capability is good except that a cloud-based solution can be more easily provided to all of our end-users.

The initial setup is straightforward and there is no complexity to it. This is a cloud-based system, so just install it, mount it, and the policies get applied. The installation requires that you log into the portal using your ID, and then it just starts working.

Zscaler has a local data center available, which is something that Cisco can't offer us at this time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although it does not have the features that I was looking for. At this time, it does not have the capabilities that are relevant to the Indian market. As such, we are thinking about uninstalling it and switching products.

The suitability of this solution depends on the industry and requirements. It is important to remember that if you start with a product or approach, you may end up switching to something different. That said, if you want to begin with Cisco Umbrella to deal with malware then you can always change later if it doesn't perfectly fit your environment. This is what we are doing.

If I were rating this product on a single capability then it would do very well. However, rating it on multiple capabilities, then there is definitely room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

More Cisco Umbrella reviews from users