Cisco Umbrella Review

It offers protection against malicious websites by stopping users from visiting them.

What is most valuable?

The feature that most interested me was protection against DNS-based attacks. Umbrella offers protection against malicious websites by stopping users from visiting them. This is important because of its host / endpoint protection, an important concept as businesses decentralize their operations and employees find themselves working from unmanaged sites on untrusted networks.

How has it helped my organization?

Employees can do their jobs and know that they'll be protected from malicious websites.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is excellent. What I'd like to see improved is the purchasing process; specifically, I'd like to see OpenDNS offer its customers the ability to purchase any number of licenses instead of a bundle.

Cisco & Open DNS don't make it easy to add additional users/licenses to an existing account. Instead they want you to go to their store (can't get to it while you're logged into your Umbrella console) and do a purchase, like you're in some line at the grocery store.

I have been using it since April 2015.

Deployment is straightforward, the product and the back end systems that support it are stable and the product is scalable as long as the customer purchases the necessary number of licenses.

The purchasing process could be easier. What I'd like to see is the ability to contact a live person at OpenDNS and over the phone be able to purchase additional licenses.

Technical support is good.

Umbrella is the first product of its type that I've used. Otherwise, my company has relied upon anti-virus products to protect hosts.

Initial setup was straightforward. I simply downloaded the client, installed it on a host and that was it.

Implementation was straightforward and was done in-house.

Regarding ROI, that falls into the category of security and that is always a tough sell to management.

What I'd like to see improved is the purchasing process, specifically I'd like to see OpenDNS offer its customers the ability to any number of licenses instead of a bundle.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan and plan some more.