Cisco Umbrella Review

It provides native integration into the multiple cloud services.

What is most valuable?

It transparently protects users from rogue web sites.

OpenDNS filters DNS query/reply without any software to be installed on the client side, so in my mind, the transparency I was talking about relates to:

• No changes on the client side required, i.e. software or configuration changes
  • The complete communication is not proxy’ed as such, only DNS query/response filtered.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides native integration into the multiple cloud services, for example, Microsoft OMS.

I used it during a two-week POC (proof of concept).

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

This is the first time we used one of these products, one of the known DNS firewalls.

Initial setup is simple, although some pre-requisites were not communicated to us, and they can make the final solution a bit more complicated.

We implemented it in-house with the support of the vendor.

The product has been rejected by business due to the pricing; no ROI as such.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product in the company security portfolio. It can be used together with the proxy to provide end-user security. However, the cost of this product is too high for what some businesses can afford.

Umbrella
More Cisco Umbrella reviews from users
...who compared it with Zscaler Internet Access
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.