Cisco Umbrella Review

Easy to use and secures us against malicious domains, but the reporting needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a web security gateway, block malicious domains and making sure that people don't go to websites that they're not really supposed to.

We are still in the proof of concept stage, which is a small test environment of approximately one hundred users. We will be purchasing it, and it will potentially replace our existing solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it secures our network against blacklisted or malicious websites. If we do have an instance of malware then it is unable to home back to these types of sites.

This solution is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

While technical support is good, there are features in the backend development side that were initially promised but are not there yet.

More granularity in the product would be helpful.

The reporting functionality should integrate better with SIEM products because it lets us report in PDF, but we want more flexibility.

Support for multiple domains is important to us.

Proof of concept stage.

It hasn't been fully deployed, but the stability has been good so far.

This solution is very scalable.

We have dealt with technical support extensively and they are good. We have had issues because of functionality that it didn't support at the time, which is why it has not been fully deployed yet. The functionality has since been introduced, but there are still some kinks that we're working out.

Our current solution isn't working very well and keeps breaking.

The initial setup is advertised as pretty easy, but we did run into some kinks. It shouldn't be that hard, it's just that we had some issues.

We worked with a Cisco partner, PCMD, who provided us with support.

Our licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

Other products were evaluated, but I was not part of that process and do not know which vendors were on the shortlist.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody researching this solution to make sure that it fits in your environment. Reverify the limitations. Our new department has different divisions and the way our Active Directory works causes some problems.

The ease of use is fantastic, but there are things that have to be fixed.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.