Cisco Unified Communications Review

Enriched communications between coworkers shortening the time necessary for a call

What is our primary use case?

We have a Communication Manager cluster with almost 200 phones and 150 softphones (Jabber). All call handling is done with this solution. We have it integrated with Active Directory. This solution was added to the Unity solution for voice mail integrated with Office 365. The Expressway C & E solution was also incorporated for the registration of softphones (Jabber) from the Internet in a very simple way for end users. Finally, we have the connection to the PSTN through a gateway with SIP trunk.

How has it helped my organization?

Using the Communication Manager, it gave us the possibility to move around the office, and even outside the office, keeping our phone number always accessible using Jabber. This is essential to be able to apply it from the home office without problems and without having to always have a connected VPN.

Additionally, it improved communication between collaborators a lot when using video calls with Jabber, since body language greatly improves communication, making it richer and shortening the time necessary for a call.

What is most valuable?

We use Extension Mobility and Jabber a lot with mobile remote access. In addition to video calls with Jabber, this greatly enriched communications between coworkers.

The integration with Active Directory is important to be able to see the complete directory from the phone or application, since one does not always remember the internal number of the person with whom you need to talk.

The voice mail integrated with Outlook is very good because it allows you to reply from the mail, if the message was left by a colleague.

What needs improvement?

The new versions of Communication Manager have improved security with authentication and authorization, as they have incorporated many advanced functions. Perhaps an improvement option could be to incorporate the Voicea solution with Communication Manager, allowing it to make a translation between different languages automatically in a conversation. This particular feature would be make a large difference.

Another option that can be used is to have the possibility of recording without needing to have an additional application.

More than five years.