Cisco Wireless Review
The ability to group APs to specific VLANs gives us a lot of flexibility. The GUI needs work.

Valuable Features

• Scalability
  • Enterprise Wireless Mesh
  • Number of interfaces
  • High Performance Video

Improvements to My Organization

In our company we have employees spread across multiple floors which requires more APs than we originally have. This new WLAN Controller accommodates us very well. It also has the great feature of grouping APs to specific VLANs which gives us a lot of flexibility.

Room for Improvement

Overall i haven't had any major complaints. I have noticed though when grouping interfaces, sometimes if you need to delete a previously created interface group there can be glitches. The GUI can be improved on.

Use of Solution

This specific model (Cisco 5508 Wireless Controller ) - 1 year

Cisco WLAN controller in general - over 10 years

No. The setup was pretty simple and straight forward.

None encountered.

None encountered.

They do just fine.

Very good. On the 2 occasions that I had to contact support I got immediate assistance and the reps were very knowledgeable and able to resolve my issues in little to no time.

We have always used Cisco.

The intial setup was very straight forward. Like most of Cisco devices the initial setup asks you some questions and you can select what you want to use as default or change. I did the preliminary setup then everything else from the GUI.

Implementation Team

Implementation was done in-house.

ROI

The increased productivity and low downtime from the wireless network is worth every cent spent. The different teams can roam the building while staying connected.....100%

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The initial set-up cost including the device was approximately $7500. There is no day-to-day cost besides the power it uses since the device just about maintains itself. Unless adding new APs or subnets to the wireless network there is no need to touch the controller really.

Other Solutions Considered

No, we stuck we Cisco since that's what we have been using all these years.

Other Advice

No, we stuck we Cisco since that's what we have been using all these years.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cisco Partner