Cisco Wireless Review

The controller is hard to beat; we can deploy our network anywhere we need it

What is our primary use case?

We have an advanced pervasive Cisco wireless deployment across five sites in the US. We are an industrial manufacturer that has a very harsh RF environment. We make powder metal which, when in the air, makes wireless a nightmare.

We use/have used: Cisco 5520, 5508, 4400, 3504, 2504 and NME-AIR (ISR based module) controllers.

• APs today are 2800 and 1500 Series APs.  We have in the past used 1200, 3500 Series APs.
  • We do a large wireless VOIP deployment at all sites too using Cisco 7921 and 8821 wireless phones.
  • We do OEAP WLC for teleworkers with 1810t APs connected to a 3504 in our DMZ
  • We have a MSE server for CleanAir
  • Prime for management
  • Work group bridges to passive IOT devices (Cranes, network PLCs,  cameras, etc.)
  • Bridges to other remote buildings

How has it helped my organization?

We have wireless in nearly every inch of our building for voice and data access.  We can deploy our network anywhere we need it to be. It works very well. Our environment as a powder metal manufacturer makes WiFi very hard. It is like a rain storm and headlights. Cisco’s product has made a big difference in our plants.

What is most valuable?

The detail in the controller is hard to beat.

What needs improvement?

Always getting the latest and great is important to me. I think as long as they keep staying on top of their product it will be a good thing. No major issues other than the fact that it is not the easiest to use without experience. If you need a simpler setup, look at Meraki.

More than five years.